Monday 7 April 2014

'STICKY CHICKEN' RECIPE

Monday 7 April 2014
Hola! My family, after a lot of convincing have decided to trust me a bit more in the 'kitchen department'. They did used to let me cook occasionally, but I may have given them reasons to not trust me, twice. Once, I was cooking my Dad some soup on the hob, and left the hob on for 5 hours, woops. Another time is when I was cooking, I turned the knob the other way, to low, so you couldn't see the flame. Instead of turning it off... My Dad then came in from work, and for some reason put his oily work trousers on the hob and one thing led to another and my Sister had to retrieve them. I thought it was funny, they didn't so much... They didn't catch fire or anything though, they just gained holes where they had melted. My sister now claims to have 'saved our lives' everytime the mention of me cooking comes around, it's rather annoying actually.

So every week, on a Tuesday evening I cook a meal for the family. As it was my first week, I wanted to redeem myself by cooking something simple but effective. We always eat the same meals: Pasta bolognaise, Curry, Chicken & bacon and Casserole. Everyone in my family are on 'The Caveman Diet' where basically, they can't things like: Bread, Pasta, Rice, Potatoes etc.. So, I had to stay clear of those. Another issue is that my Step-Sister is a vegitarian, so I had to make sure I didn't contaminate her Quorn with meat. I did the same for her to, just with Quorn Fillets not meat!

 I decided I wanted something different, and I had 'Sticky Chicken' in mine. To be honest, I didn't actually know what it was, I had some sort of BBQ Rib sort of thing in mind, just chicken instead of ribs, I was wrong. To be honest, I still don't really know what it is, all I know is that it was VERY tasty!

You will need: (1kg of Chicken fillets and 2 Quorn Fillets)

4 tbsp of Soy Sauce
2 tbsp of Honey
1 tbsp of Tomato Purée
1/2 tbsp of Olive Oil
1 Garlic Clove (preferably 1 tbsp of Garlic Powder)
1/2 tbsp Ginger Powder
A few drops of TABASCO

This is sweet, so if you want it a little less sweet, lower the Honey levels to one, and if you want it spicier, add more TABASCO sauce. The reason it's better with Garlic Powder, as it's easier to mix in and marinate with.

Then what you need to do is mix all of the ingredients (bar meat etc...) in a bowl until it forms a marinade.
You then need to marinate your meats and leave it for a while, I left them for around an hour and a half and they were fine, preferably over night though, then you will get the fullest flavour possible.

Once you have left them for long enough, you can then start cooking them, use a shallow roasting dish, I don't know why, but that's what I used, then oven cook them on 180° for 50 minutes. 

Here's some pictures!




Before it was mixed...

Raw Chicken, ew...

Raw Quorn...

Not too pretty presentation though... but I served it with roasted veg!

So there you have it! If you are going to re-create this recipe and have a food diary with My Fitness Pal I have made a recipe for it on there, its called Amy's Sticky Chicken pretty adequate! Haha!

My family really enjoyed it too, the Chicken wasn't dry and it was VERY yummy, I want more, but with more chicken next time! It would also be lovely with rice and more sauce to drizzle over? Or noodles? Ooh!

If you have any ideas that are simple-ish for next time I cook for my family, please comment them below, or tweet me? THANK YOU!

Amy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Love and other ramblings © 2014